How to Troubleshoot Problems with Your Swimming Pool Heater
When swimming pool heaters stop working, it can be difficult to find the root of the problem. Determining exactly what's causing the malfunction is a necessary step in deciding how to best repair it, but it can be a complex process. You don't always need to call a pool maintenance professional for pool heater troubleshooting or repairs, but it's never a bad idea, and it's certainly necessary in many cases.
At A Perfect Pool Company, we strive to help our clients keep every part of their pools functioning well. Our Monroe pool maintenance experts will be able to provide you with high quality troubleshooting and repair services for your pool heater if and when you need assistance.
Before you contact a professional for repairs, try these troubleshooting tips:
The Pool Heater Won't Turn On or Doesn't Stay On
If the heater isn't turning on or staying on:
- You may be able to solve by cleaning the filter. Dirty filters can result in low pressure, and if the pressure leaving the filter is low, the pressure switch might turn the heater off.
- If you have a gas heater, check the shut-off valve to ensure that the valve is open and supplying fuel to the heater.
- In the unit is electric, make sure that the electrical connections are tight and that there is no corrosion at the terminals.
Always take extreme caution when you're working with gas or electricity, and never hesitate to contact our Monroe pool experts.
Low Flow or Inadequate Heating
If your heater shuts off before warming water to the desired temperature:
- A dirty filter may be preventing the heater from firing. Clean the filter and retry.
- Make sure that you're using the right size heater for your pool.
- Reset the timer and allow the heater to run for a longer period.
Noises Coming from the Swimming Pool Heater
Bangs, whining sounds, or grinding noises can be signs of problems. If you hear these:
- Check your system's hoses and filters.
- Inspect the system for blockages and back-flush the filter to remove any debris.
- A noisy heater can also indicate that it is operating after the pump shuts off, and this is related to a faulty pressure switch that needs to be replaced.
- If you cannot find the source of the noise, contact our Monroe pool experts as soon as possible.
When Should You Call a Professional for Pool Heater Repairs in Monroe, GA?
- Malfunctioning pool heaters can be very serious safety hazards. If you're unsure about any situation or troubleshooting procedure, contact a professional.
- Never attempt to repair any electrical or gas issues by yourself.
- If you cannot get the heater to turn off, contact a professional immediately. This can be a sign of very dangerous problems.